If you’ve been dreaming about adding some feathered friends to your life, we think you’re onto something.
Backyard chickens provide delicious, healthy eggs, plus companionship, entertainment, and a sense of sustainability. They’re fun for the whole family. Here are a few tips, guides, and videos from Purina® Poultry.
How to Get Ready for Baby Chicks
Our friends at Purina®Poultry outlined everything you need to know in their free step-by-step guide. Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Getting Started: Chick supplies and brooder setup.
- Building a coop and moving chicks from the brooder to a coop.
- When the first egg will arrive, and more
Medicated vs. non-medicated: which is best for your chicks?
Ultimately, it all comes down to whether your chicks have been vaccinated against coccidiosis, one of the most common diseases chickens face.
- Yes, vaccinated for coccidiosis: Purina® Start & Grow® Non-Medicated
- No, not vaccinated for coccidiosis (or if you are unsure of vaccination status): Purina® Start & Grow® Medicated.
Purina started feeds include everything your baby chicks need, no need to add anything else.
Have you picked up baby chicks from your favorite D&B Supply yet? If so, the #FirstEgg countdown is on!
Be sure to tag D&B Supply and show us your first egg! #dbsupply or find us on your favorite social media platform
- Facebook – facebook.com/dbsupply
- Twitter – twitter.com/dbsupply
- Instagram – instagram.com/dbsupply
- Podcast – https://soundcloud.com/dbsupply
- YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/c/dbsupply
- Pinterest – pinterest.com/dbsupply
As the egg-ticipation sets in, use these tips from Purina® Poultry to learn when your first egg will arrive and how to prepare.
How to know your chicks aer ready for a layer feed:
- They’re 18 weeks old
- They’re laying eggs
It’s that easy! Purina® Layena premium feeds include the Oyster Strong® System which gives your layers what they need for strong shells.
Until then, continue feeding Purina® Start & Grow® to your chicks and pullets.
Stop in today to your favorite D&B Supply and wel’ll help you find the right layer feed.
Thank you to the Purina® Poultry and marketing team for great tips, advice, and links for happy and healthy chicks.