If gardening season still seems too far away, you can bring it a little closer by attending some of the really great garden classes that are being held in the valley.
If you want to increase the pollination in your garden, you might consider keeping bees. D&B is offering FREE beginning beekeeping classes. All classes will be held from 6:30 p.m to 8:30 p.m.
- Boise Store Monday, February 3rd
- Garden City store on Tuesday, February 4th
- La Grande store Thursday, February 6th
- Ontario on Monday, February 10th (this class will be held at Treasure Valley Community College in the Barber Hall, room BH114)
- Nampa store on Tuesday, February 11th
- Mt. Home on Thursday, February 13th at the Elks Lodge
- Twin Falls on Monday, March 3rd at the Red Lion
Kevin Laughlin, Ph.D., will be presenting ‘Beating Drought with Keyhole Gardens and other Methods” a FREE class at the Edwards Greenhouse pop up park on Saturday, February 8th. Please call to register 342-7548 and find out about other classes.
Boise Forestry is once again offering their series of FREE tree care classes. All classes are held on Wednesday evenings at the main branch of the Boise Public Library, 715 S Capitol Boulevard, from 6-8:30 p.m. Call to register 608-7700.
- February 26th Fruit Trees
- March 5th Tree Structure and Biology
- March 12th Tree Pruning and Maintenance
- March 19th Tree Selection and Planting
- March 26th is on Managing Pests and other Tree Problems
The following week begins a series of 2 FREE landscape classes offered by Boise Parks and Recreation. These classes are on Wednesday evening from 6-8:30 p.m at the Boise Public Library, 715 S Capitol Blvd. Call 608-7700 to register.
- April 2nd Lawns and Landscape
- April 9th Roses and Irrigation
The Canyon County Extension Office and Parks and Recreation are offering garden classes. These classes are from 6:30-8:00 p.m at the Nampa Rec Center:
- February 10th ‘Eat your Yard! Growing an Edible Landscape
- March 21st ‘Heirloom Tomatoes: A Delicious slice of History’
Luby Park Rose Garden from 10:00 a.m to noon. A small fee is required. Call Canyon Co extension to register 459-6003.
- March 18th in Caldwell Roses for Every Garden. A small fee is required
The Horticultural Symposium ‘Rethinking Idaho Landscapes’ is Saturday, February 22 from 9:00am-3:30pm at the Boise Centre on the Grove. It will cover classes in Permaculture for Water Conservation, Identifying new Pests in Idaho, Designing Outdoor Living Spaces and Small Garden Design on the High Desert plateau. The cost is $30 for the entire day if you’re a U of I Master Gardener or a member of the Idaho Botanical Garden, $40 otherwise. Register online at http://www.idahobotanicalgarden.org or call 343-8649.
Finally March 21st through the 23rd brings us the Boise Flower and Garden Show at Boise Centre on the Grove. A multitude of classes are held each day of the show and are free with your admission. Admission is $8.