Thank you to Doug Pill for sharing his famous Spicy Italian Wings with us, here is his story.
For many years, my friends have enjoyed wings on the #pillpatio. Over the years we have tried hundreds of recipes ranging from traditional Buffalo to exotic combinations. We have our favorites, but continue to develop new recipes on a regular basis. This particular recipe was originally found by my lovely wife (Jodi) via an online source. Over the course of multiple attempts, we switched up the ingredients +&- until we found just the flavor we were originally looking for. Our desire for this recipe was a subtle sweet with a hint of spice. I have found that cooking wings in a high temperature pit placed off the heat results in a juicy and tender/fall off the bone experience.
Good luck with your wing experience and look for new & exciting recipes to come.
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup Italian-style salad dressing
- 3 pounds chicken wings, cut apart at joints, wing tips discarded
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup hot pepper sauce (such as Frank’s RedHot), or to taste
- Combine 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/8 cup hot pepper sauce, Italian dressing, and chicken wings in a large, zip-top bag. Close bag and refrigerate overnight.
- Prep BBQ with 5-7 lbs or 1/3 of 20 lb. bag of briquettes. Let briquettes heat until ready. Place wings completely off the heat and let cook for 30-35 minutes. Turn & rotate wings and let cook another 20-25 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the 1 teaspoon soy sauce and the hot pepper sauce.
- Place grilled wings in a large bowl. Pour butter sauce over wings; toss to mix well.
If you have a family recipe you want to share with us, please email us here.